A month after the earthquake and the island of Haiti is still short of supplies! South Africans are willing to help but don't know how. Thankfully, Masimanyane Women's Support Centre has come to the fore, giving us the chance to help resurrect the lives of Haitians.
Masimanyane is looking to collect items that contribute to the welfare of women and children who have been victims of rape and robbery in the last month. The organisation encourages each person to provide one item each. These include:
- Feminine supplies, combs, feminine wipes, panties, bras and clothes and other support (especially for pregnant women and new mothers).
- Personal/household supplies for birth delivery and after: (rubbing alcohol or disposable anti-germicidal substitutes; baby wipes, baby wraps, pampers, socks and caps and supplies for nursing mothers/newborn; (It is cold at nights so there is need to cover the feet and heads of the newborns).
- Clothing and under garments for women and young girls
- Bedding and blankets for babies and mothers.
- Urgent need for the morning after pill (rape of girls and young women is becoming a problem, as is common in the aftermath of most disasters).
- Any items that you think would be useful for women and girls.
- In general any supplies (such as toothpaste, tooth brushes, soaps, etc) that can be used for daily living for men, women, boys and girls are welcome.
By getting your employees to contribute at least one item you will help better the lives of hundreds who are suffering. You may collect the items at your offices and Masimanyane will arrange to pick it up.
For more information please contact Yulinda Sharrock on 084 481 2195 or 043 743 9169.
More information is a click away:
Masimanyane Haiti Initiative
Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.