This has been such a strange, stressful but wonderful, crazy year.
While I got married and I am loving creating a home with S.O*, I hated every millisecond of the wedding... the event itself and the year of planning. I really thought it was going to give me an aneurysm. Seriously, weddings are so over-rated. I would have rather invested all that money into my future home, or future endeavors like travel or study.
Then there is married life and maintaining a home... not easy when you are working practically six days a week and work is intensely busy. I feel I have neglected myself, my S.O, my writing, my well-being and my new home. But I have learnt something through all of this - no matter what, don't kill yourself for the sake of work. And that will stay with me, even going into this new year. In all likelihood, work will be even busier than this year. But I need to remember my life while fulfilling work obligations.
I immensely enjoy having S.O in cuddle distance. We waited to live together, and only did so after marriage. It sure is a treat to have him around! However, balancing our two very different personalities has been a great learning curve. We challenge each other, but we also comfort each other.
To sum up, my highlights of the year has been:
- Taking months to renovate our new home, and especially the kitchen (You can see pictures of the house here)
- Having an epic bridal shower
- Surviving the wedding, and the memorable honeymoon thereafter. Mauritius is certainly a food haven for vegetarians!
- Seeing so many loved ones from abroad, and far away, attending the wedding
- Moving into our new home, and being so welcomed and loved by S.O's family
- Learning to live with my S.O, and having him challenge my way of thinking, taking me out of my box
- Building a structure and pattern for our new lifestyle - but feeling as if we are playing house! :)
- Waiting the entire year for the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special (I know, I know... but I am a self-confessed, proud Whovian!)
- Attending an unforgettable Amazing Race Party, and learning so much about Jo'burg I didn't know. Mind you, we did this dressed as pirates.... arrr! (Pictured above)
- And still to come - a quickie trip to the coast for a friend's wedding and then another to Doha to see some of my favourite people
|Dressed as pirates!|
|Two of the photos from the wedding, taken by Joylight Photography.|